Extra Waste Charges – Why Are They Necessary?

Anyone with a lot of experience dealing with recycling services will know that they will request an extra fee for any additional waste they receive. What fewer people know of is why that really is.

Some waste tends to be completely free of charge in order to encourage recycling, which includes:

  • Paper
  • Plastic Bottles
  • Clothing
  • Scrap Metal
  • Cardboard
  • Glass
  • Hard Plastics

 

No matter the amount, these types of waste will always be disposed of without any fees. If you’re dealing with commercial waste, such as rubble or broken sinks from construction work, however, there will be charges if wanting to dispose of it. These charges will vary depending on the recycling company in question, based on the volume and type of waste being disposed of.

For example, a standard full bag of rubble will cost £2.80 for disposal in North Yorkshire County Council services, whereas it will only cost £1.50 in services provided by Oxfordshire County Council. That said, please refer to your own council’s website for a more specific estimate of what your waste might cost you.

 

Why Charge At All?

There are two main reasons for charging for the disposal of construction waste, and any other waste types not within the list above.

 

The first main reason would be due to recycling policies increasing in the past few years. Compared to other countries in Europe, the United Kingdom is lagging behind when it comes to the recycling of its waste on a national scale. Recent reports present England’s recycling rate as only being at 45.2% and due to the sheer amount of waste that represents the other 54.8% going to landfills, most landfills within the country are expected to burst by 2022.

All of this requires Britain to take extra precautions in preventing the growth or even the continuation of its current volume of national waste. In order to encourage more environmentally friendly options, most councils have proposed higher taxes on the disposal of waste that is considered neither commercial nor household waste.

The significant expenses of disposing of construction waste are something most councils do not want to divert resources into paying for, being a reason as to why constructive waste and other non-household waste is treated as an extra expense. With the right fee, however, it is accepted.

The second main reason is still linked to recycling, though is specific enough to require talking about on its own. Constructive waste can contaminate recyclables if placed in the same space as them. If this happens, it can be difficult to restore the waste or to properly separate them without additional funds, which makes the extra payment necessary for it to be dealt with.

If you separate the waste yourself before handing it over to the recycling company, then you may be charged less due to the recyclability of certain waste types mentioned before.

If wanting to not waste as much money as possible on a regular basis, it is best to make sure your bin is the right size for what amount of waste you produce on average. Beyond that, make sure to follow all the best practices of waste disposal, such as keeping a waste audit and other important paperwork.

Browse Archive

Cheaperwaste on Twitter

Get a Quote